Back when UFC president Dana White dropped an absolute bomb during the postgame coverage of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals, the rumor mill was rampant about the much-publicized super fight between Floy Mayweather and Conor McGregor.
On set with the NBA on TNT crew, White said that one side was signed to the highly-anticipated Mayweather – McGregor bout; UFC’s own McGregor.
— TurnerSportsPR (@TurnerSportsPR) May 18, 2017
White insisted that the fight was still not a definite go, which made the announcement rather curious.
If it isn’t 100-percent set in stone, why announce McGregor had agreed to it?
Conor McGregor confirms that he has signed on to fight Floyd Mayweather https://t.co/jlr7VQ1urC
— SI MMA (@SI_MMA) May 18, 2017
Former boxing champ Oscar De La Hoya, who is now promoting the “fight of the year” between boxers Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin on Sept. 16th has been skeptical of the whole thing, which prompted White to call him out pretty hard at the end of last month.
He has basically said repeatedly that the Mayweather-McGregor fight won’t happen.
He went even further saying that boxing would never recover from the bout.
To my fellow #boxing fans: I write in the hopes that together we can protect the sport of boxing. With each passing…
If the latest bombshell is any indication, De La Hoya may be eating crow.